Named after a nearby rock formation, this town mined the limestone for Portland Cement. Tragedy struck the small village when a large explosion killed many of the miners. The founders planned for the long term: the hamlet boasted a two-story boarding house, a baseball diamond and cement sidewalks.
Once the Tintic Mining District's financial seat, this silver town boasted more than 4,000 residents at its peak. Now it is home to less than 700.
Grafton, Utah - Photo by respres
Established originally in 1859 as a Morman farming community, the town flooded in 1862 and a new site chosen further up the Virginia River. Many residents moved away after a canal – which many of the citizens helped to build – diverted most of the town's water in 1906.
Ancient petroglyphs are visible on the rocky canyon walls surrounding this old coalmining town, which struggled with its water supply from the beginning.
This town “ with its a mile-long Main Street “ boomed until the mines flooded in the 1880s. The original Wells Fargo bank building is now a museum.
By Anna Philpot